CIO Podcast – Episode 25: Aaron Martin on Digital Health Innovation
Healthcare IT Today
washington; seattle; system
For the 25th episode of the CIO podcast hosted by Healthcare IT Today, we sat down with Aaron Martin, DexCare Board Member & Executive Vice President and Chief Digital Officer at Providence. Martin provides a really unique view into what I think is happening at many hospitals and health systems when it comes to embracing digital health technologies and the new title of Chief Digital Officer. In some cases we’re seeing this as a dual role for the CIO, but as you’ll hear from Martin, this role has a different mindset that has to span the CIO and the CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) perspectives.
As part of the digital health innovation discussion, Martin also shares the story behind DexCare which recently closed a $50 million Series B round of funding. He gives a nice peak into how that effort was started and why they chose to roll it off into its own company with outside funding. Martin highlights the benefits of having a full company behind the technology they develop versus just continuing to maintain and develop it in house.
Here’s a look at the questions and topics we discuss on this episode:
- What’s the overarching approach to digital health and digital innovation at Providence?
- DexCare is a platform incubated by the Digital Innovation Group at Providence and just raised $50 million. Tell us about that platform along with how it started and where it’s heading.
- Was the “load balancing” of patients across locations the problem other solutions in the market didn’t solve that led you to create DexCare or were there other challenges?
- You sound more like a Chief Marketing Officer. How are you able to be more entrepreneurial in such a large organization?
- What’s a hard problem you’re working on that you’re still trying to solve?
- What’s been the key to success in your career?
- What’s been the best piece of advice you’ve received?
Health Care Administration
Martin, Aaron and Lynn, John, "CIO Podcast – Episode 25: Aaron Martin on Digital Health Innovation" (2022). Articles, Abstracts, and Reports. 5699.